There really is no greater subtle statement of status in a restaurant than having a great bottle of wine on your table.Â The surrounding tables all take notice.Â It is a declaration of class and announces to the dining room that you can afford the finer things in life.Â It is a reward.Â It is […]
Tag Archives | Wine
How To Sell The Bottle
In Defense of Selling as a Server (Part One)
Search engine results are one of the most amusing parts of writing a blog.Â I get to see what people are searching for that lands them on this page.Â Almost every day someone lands on this page looking for sales techniques.Â Upon closer examination I am seeing a trend of the phrasing of the searches.Â […]
Wine Descriptions That Sell
I was recently having a conversation with a group of co-workers including one who I had trained the week before.Â The topic of Mezcal came up.Â I gave up drinking years ago and well before the current Mezcal craze hit the Midwest.Â The new server, with an impressive bartending resume, began to describe it to […]
Independent living for the Elderly
Independent living is simply any housing arrangement designed exclusively for older adults in their own homes. It doesn’t mean someone is living alone but rather they live alone and their spouse is often the primary caregiver. An example of an independent living program would be a house with a basement suite for elderly tenants. It’s […]
Five Great Food Stories
Who doesnâ€™t les love a great story?Â Even before written language, humans cheap nfl jerseys shared stories to remember their great moments.Â When we are children, our The parents read us stories and as adults we read them to our children.Â When we are with the people we have known the longest we tell stories […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- A Food Critic Intervention August 31, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- What can I do to increase my online rank August 9, 2017
- Should Restaurant Servers Post Credit Card Receipts? October 23, 2013
- SD WAN Technology May 23, 2013
- Transitioning From A Restaurant Manager To A Restaurant Server March 19, 2013
- The Blooper Reel February 14, 2013
- Becki: As a server on sabbatical, I will say you were FAR...
- career server: The loser is the server who serves a table whose s...
- David Hayden: I found out about it when a friend who manages at ...
- Debbie Morella-Haynes: "This may seem like good news for servers, but it...
- Sugel: 6) Hours- This is a huge quality for life factor f...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.