If we are going to be honest, we have to admit that most restaurant server training manuals do not adequately prepare servers to create highly satisfied guests and make above average tips. In fact, most server training manuals leave waiters and waitresses frustrated and demoralized. Corporations spend absurd amounts of money training servers on sales […]
Archive | Resources RSS feed for this section
I am about to violate one of the most basic rules of marketing and give you an insider’s look at the world of self-publishing in the digital age. I probably shouldn’t write this post. My morning coffee hasn’t kicked in and I can tell you that this post will eventually pulled from the site before […]
Introducing Waiters Today As I approach my second year of writing this blog, I am pretty impressed with the quality of the server blogs on the web. I think that some bloggers like Mike Q at Life On A Cocktail Napkin have significantly raised the bar with the quality of their writing. Other blogs like […]
I truly want Tips For Improving Your Tips to become the web’s premeir site for server knowledge and the skills that help server’s increase their income. This site is filled with over 100 posts that help further that goal. This also means that can be a bit daunting to read. In order to make it […]
One of the coolest parts of spending over a decade in the restaurant business is that you know someone at most every restaurant. Last night, my girlfriend Ali (who complains about not getting mentioned enough on here) and I went to check out a new restaurant. We scrolled through a list of six people we […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- A Food Critic Intervention August 31, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- Should Restaurant Servers Post Credit Card Receipts? October 23, 2013
- Meeting The Rude Restaurant Guest The Next Day May 23, 2013
- Transitioning From A Restaurant Manager To A Restaurant Server March 19, 2013
- The Blooper Reel February 14, 2013
- Five Questions To Know For A Restaurant Server Interview January 25, 2013
- Becki: As a server on sabbatical, I will say you were FAR...
- career server: The loser is the server who serves a table whose s...
- David Hayden: I found out about it when a friend who manages at ...
- Debbie Morella-Haynes: "This may seem like good news for servers, but it...
- Sugel: 6) Hours- This is a huge quality for life factor f...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.