Live TV is an art form I have great appreciation for. The people who perform it can seemingly handle anything. They know like the great stage actors before them that the show must go on. In a way it is very much like waiting tables. No matter what the guests say to you as a […]
Archive | Tips, Tricks, and Techniques RSS feed for this section
The Blooper Reel
Even More Simple Tricks For Server
After returning from a brief vacation to visit the best Columbia, MO dentist I know and documenting the Jardines mess, it is time to get things back to normal. This is the fourth installment of theœsimple tricks for servers series. If you missed the others, check out parts one, two, and three. These are some […]
How To Make A Better Arnold Palmer
One of the first posts on this blog explained my fascination with cherry limeades that pre-dates my Arnold Palmer affection. Â I wrote of the benefits of pitching every table a â€œmean cherry limeade.â€Â Eventually, I even posted my recipe for a cherry limeade.Â A funny thing happened with my most recent job change.Â I was […]
Another Five Simple Tricks- Sidework
FiveÂ tricks to make your sidework easier.Â I havenâ€™t written one of these posts in a while.Â The first and second versions of this recurring feature were very popular.Â In defeating the case of writerâ€™s block I seem to have shaken today, I decided to write another set of these tricks to make your jobs as […]
How To Memorize Orders
(Note: In yesterdays post I discussed why I feel it is beneficial to memorize orders. Â I will not recap to avoid redundancy, which itself if redundant in this post.) I am terrible with names.Â Not particularly good with faces either.Â I will forget three things every time I take a trip.Â I promise I will […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- A Food Critic Intervention August 31, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- What can I do to increase my online rank August 9, 2017
- Should Restaurant Servers Post Credit Card Receipts? October 23, 2013
- SD WAN Technology May 23, 2013
- Transitioning From A Restaurant Manager To A Restaurant Server March 19, 2013
- The Blooper Reel February 14, 2013
- Becki: As a server on sabbatical, I will say you were FAR...
- career server: The loser is the server who serves a table whose s...
- David Hayden: I found out about it when a friend who manages at ...
- Debbie Morella-Haynes: "This may seem like good news for servers, but it...
- Sugel: 6) Hours- This is a huge quality for life factor f...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.