Live TV is an art form I have great appreciation for. The people who perform it can seemingly handle anything. They know like the great stage actors before them that the show must go on. In a way it is very much like waiting tables. No matter what the guests say to you as a […]
Archive | Skills RSS feed for this section
The Blooper Reel
Why Free Food Does Not Increase Your Tip
â€œThey left me 15% and I didnâ€™t even charge them for their drinksâ€ â€“Rookie Server One of the fundamental truths you learn as a server is that hooking someone up with free drinks, food, etc. does not increase your tip. No matter how fundamental of a truth this is, it seems that every server has […]
Even More Simple Tricks For Server
After returning from a brief vacation to visit the best Columbia, MO dentist I know and documenting the Jardines mess, it is time to get things back to normal. This is the fourth installment of theœsimple tricks for servers series. If you missed the others, check out parts one, two, and three. These are some […]
Ten Bad Server Habits To Break
I spend a fair amount of time on the sister site of this blog discussing guest behaviors that annoy servers.Â I am sometimes a guest as well.Â On the occasions when I take my tips and spend them at a restaurant, I expect quality service.Â While I tend to not critique servers, there are definitely […]
How To Fold A Napkin
Â The “how to” series continues this week with a lesson on how to fold a napkin. Â I will start with the standard triangle â€œstand upâ€ fold and then the more interesting â€œpouchâ€ fold.Â This may be very remedial to some, but most restaurants in America still use the standard â€œroll up.â€Â For the benefit of […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- A Food Critic Intervention August 31, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- What can I do to increase my online rank August 9, 2017
- Should Restaurant Servers Post Credit Card Receipts? October 23, 2013
- SD WAN Technology May 23, 2013
- Transitioning From A Restaurant Manager To A Restaurant Server March 19, 2013
- The Blooper Reel February 14, 2013
- Becki: As a server on sabbatical, I will say you were FAR...
- career server: The loser is the server who serves a table whose s...
- David Hayden: I found out about it when a friend who manages at ...
- Debbie Morella-Haynes: "This may seem like good news for servers, but it...
- Sugel: 6) Hours- This is a huge quality for life factor f...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.