This is not a story I tell very often because I have been known to get a little choked up from telling it.Â It happened nearly twenty years ago, but it still has an impact on how I view my job on a daily basis.Â My purpose in sharing it is not simply to stroll […]
Archive | Inspiration and Motivation RSS feed for this section
(Author’s Note: The video above was shot in the Jazz Club of the restaurant where I work.Â I think it will prove relevant to the post as you read on and alsoÂ serves asÂ a nice soundtrack provided by the incredibly talented Bram Wijnands) When I went in to interview at the restaurant where I work, I […]
Let me begin this post with a story: An animal rights activist was driving down the highway in his VW Microbus.Â He was happily thinking about what a beautiful day it was.Â He was so caught up in these thoughts that he didnâ€™t notice when he drifted into the next lane and cut off a […]
Last night I had a long conversation with my girlfriend after work.Â It had been a pretty disappointing shift to wrap up a pretty disappointing double to finish off a pretty disappointing weekend.Â I had a call party not show up.Â A 17 top I was supposed to split became a 6 top.Â The 6 […]
(Note: I wrote this piece last week upon hearing this untimely news.) I never worked for Paul Robinson.Â To the best of my knowledge I never even waited on him.Â When I read today that he passed away on Monday it probably should not have affected me the way it did.Â Honestly, I am not […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- A Food Critic Intervention August 31, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- What can I do to increase my online rank August 9, 2017
- Should Restaurant Servers Post Credit Card Receipts? October 23, 2013
- SD WAN Technology May 23, 2013
- Transitioning From A Restaurant Manager To A Restaurant Server March 19, 2013
- The Blooper Reel February 14, 2013
- Becki: As a server on sabbatical, I will say you were FAR...
- career server: The loser is the server who serves a table whose s...
- David Hayden: I found out about it when a friend who manages at ...
- Debbie Morella-Haynes: "This may seem like good news for servers, but it...
- Sugel: 6) Hours- This is a huge quality for life factor f...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.