With the rise of social media, it is becoming more common to read stories of servers posting the credit card receipts of guests to show the size of the tip they received.Â This can include terrible tips that guests have left.Â It has also grown to include showing the incredible tips left by celebrities and […]
Archive | Life as a Server RSS feed for this section
Should Restaurant Servers Post Credit Card Receipts?
SD WAN Technology
SD WAN technology supports quality of service policy and is what determines where dynamic path selection will steer traffic. It’s impossible for this technology to be faulted entirely for the global carrier fault; there are other root causes involved as well. But, it’s the nature of the technology that is what failed. SD WAN helps […]
Transitioning From A Restaurant Manager To A Restaurant Server
Transitioning from a restaurant manager to a restaurant server was one of the more surreal experiences of my career. I knew in advance it would take time to acclimate to my new role, but did not quite know what to expect. As a manager I felt that I was missing out on a great deal […]
Why Your Non-Slip Shoes Matter
I had a conversation last night with some former servers about the â€œserving lifestyle.â€Â Â They fondly recalled sleeping until noon and closing down the late night bars.Â Â Those are some of the more glamorous parts of being a server.Â Â The part people donâ€™t often fondly recall is being uninsured and any injury being catastrophic.Â Â If you cannot work, you […]
My New Slip-Resistant Shoes
I make no secret of the fact that I will endorse fully products that I feel help me be more effective as a server. In the past I have written about my favorite wine key, money clip, and slip-resistant shoes. So when a fellow server on Twitter was asking for a recommendation on some […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- A Food Critic Intervention August 31, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- What can I do to increase my online rank August 9, 2017
- Should Restaurant Servers Post Credit Card Receipts? October 23, 2013
- SD WAN Technology May 23, 2013
- Transitioning From A Restaurant Manager To A Restaurant Server March 19, 2013
- The Blooper Reel February 14, 2013
- Becki: As a server on sabbatical, I will say you were FAR...
- career server: The loser is the server who serves a table whose s...
- David Hayden: I found out about it when a friend who manages at ...
- Debbie Morella-Haynes: "This may seem like good news for servers, but it...
- Sugel: 6) Hours- This is a huge quality for life factor f...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.