Salads have becoming much more confusing over the years.Â We have moved from iceberg and romaine to a variety of weeds, leafs, and greens.Â Spring mix and mixed greens can be found on even casual restaurantâ€™s menus.Â Still the components of these mixtures can be a mystery to even the most knowledgeable foodies.Â Some of […]
Archive | Food Facts RSS feed for this section
Many month ago I came up with an idea. Seafood is one of the toughest areas for most servers to learn. Growing up in the Midwest most of the seafood I ate was called “fish” and usually served in “stick” form. Early in my restaurant career I served tilapia and cheap salmon. It wasn’t until […]
I had dinner last night at the newest location of Kansas Cityâ€™s best tapas restaurant, La Bodega.Â This was actually my second trip in as many weeks.Â Iâ€™ve always enjoyed the small plate concept and no one executes it better.Â It also led to a foodie discussion of the difference between the different pork products […]
I will admit it.Â I am a huge trivia fan.Â I collect random pieces of trivial information in hope that it one day might come in handy.Â This has led to an undefeated streak in Trivial Pursuit that began in the last millennium.Â It also leads to me seeking out opportunities to play trivia whenever […]
My friend Marcy has been telling me for years that I need a dog.Â She thinks it would be good for me to have a pet for companionship.Â I have always avoided getting one based on the fact that my schedule prevents me from being home frequently enough to let it outside.Â I can see […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- A Food Critic Intervention August 31, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- What can I do to increase my online rank August 9, 2017
- Should Restaurant Servers Post Credit Card Receipts? October 23, 2013
- SD WAN Technology May 23, 2013
- Transitioning From A Restaurant Manager To A Restaurant Server March 19, 2013
- The Blooper Reel February 14, 2013
- Becki: As a server on sabbatical, I will say you were FAR...
- career server: The loser is the server who serves a table whose s...
- David Hayden: I found out about it when a friend who manages at ...
- Debbie Morella-Haynes: "This may seem like good news for servers, but it...
- Sugel: 6) Hours- This is a huge quality for life factor f...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.