â€œSubtlety is the art of saying what you think and getting out of the way before it is understood.â€ â€“Anonymous Â We as a society have really lost the power of subtlety.Â It could be because we have lost the patience to unravel it.Â We receive far more information on a daily basis than our […]
Tag Archives | how to be a better restaurant server
I am still incredibly grateful for my recent guest post on tipping.Â It inspired my response that discussed the economics of tipping.Â It also raised a few other interesting points that I am now learning are common misconceptions about restaurants.Â For people who have never worked in a restaurant, these misconceptions can easily be mistaken […]
The weekend is upon us.Â Friday and Saturday nights get busy and take a lot out of us.Â The pace is faster, the side stations are more crowded, and all of the saucers in the restaurant seem to hide.Â The guests do not seem to understand any of this and have far less patience.Â This […]
(Note: I am enjoying the final day of my mini vacation.Â Having a great trip.Â Met my favorite musician and a personal hero yesterday.Â Today I will be taking the scenic drive through the Ozark hills of Central Missouri.Â This is a post I wroteÂ a coupleÂ months ago.Â Not my standard fare, but I hope you […]
â€œYou should never write your own resume, personal ad, or obituary.Â In all three cases it is better to show your humility by letting someone else lie for you.â€ -David Hayden Every since picking up a copy of Peterâ€™s Quotations in high school it has been a personal goal of mine to quote myself in […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- A Food Critic Intervention August 31, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- What can I do to increase my online rank August 9, 2017
- Should Restaurant Servers Post Credit Card Receipts? October 23, 2013
- SD WAN Technology May 23, 2013
- Transitioning From A Restaurant Manager To A Restaurant Server March 19, 2013
- The Blooper Reel February 14, 2013
- Becki: As a server on sabbatical, I will say you were FAR...
- career server: The loser is the server who serves a table whose s...
- David Hayden: I found out about it when a friend who manages at ...
- Debbie Morella-Haynes: "This may seem like good news for servers, but it...
- Sugel: 6) Hours- This is a huge quality for life factor f...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.