Introducing Waiters Today As I approach my second year of writing this blog, I am pretty impressed with the quality of the server blogs on the web. I think that some bloggers like Mike Q at Life On A Cocktail Napkin have significantly raised the bar with the quality of their writing. Other blogs like […]
Tag Archives | waitress
In continuing the “how to” series on this blog, we are turning from glasses to how to carry three plates. Carrying three plates in one hand is one of the first tricks many servers are required to learn. You can always spot a new server as they carefully walk through the dining room with two […]
Of all of the concepts I have introduced on this blog and in my book, this week’s sales focus deals with the topic that I feel most strongly about. This is the one area I am most disappointed with how it is addressed by the restaurant industry. So many restaurant companies now refer to their […]
One of the coolest parts of spending over a decade in the restaurant business is that you know someone at most every restaurant. Last night, my girlfriend Ali (who complains about not getting mentioned enough on here) and I went to check out a new restaurant. We scrolled through a list of six people we […]
It is with a great deal of pride and excitement that I can finally announce the release of my first book: Tips2: Tips For Improving Your Tips. I have been teasing this big announcement for months and am glad to finally be making it, even though for regular readers it may be akin to Mitt […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- A Food Critic Intervention August 31, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- Should Restaurant Servers Post Credit Card Receipts? October 23, 2013
- Meeting The Rude Restaurant Guest The Next Day May 23, 2013
- Transitioning From A Restaurant Manager To A Restaurant Server March 19, 2013
- The Blooper Reel February 14, 2013
- Five Questions To Know For A Restaurant Server Interview January 25, 2013
- Becki: As a server on sabbatical, I will say you were FAR...
- career server: The loser is the server who serves a table whose s...
- David Hayden: I found out about it when a friend who manages at ...
- Debbie Morella-Haynes: "This may seem like good news for servers, but it...
- Sugel: 6) Hours- This is a huge quality for life factor f...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.