Â The “how to” series continues this week with a lesson on how to fold a napkin. Â I will start with the standard triangle â€œstand upâ€ fold and then the more interesting â€œpouchâ€ fold.Â This may be very remedial to some, but most restaurants in America still use the standard â€œroll up.â€Â For the benefit of […]
Tag Archives | Waiter
How To Fold A Napkin
How to Carry Three Plates
Â In continuing the â€œhow toâ€ series on this blog, we are turning from glasses to how to carry threeÂ plates.Â Carrying three plates in one hand is one of the first tricks many servers are required to learn.Â You can always spot a new server as they carefully walk through the dining room with two […]
How To Carry Three Glasses In One Hand
One of the first serving tricks that most servers learn is how to carry two glasses in one hand.Â This is a basic skill of serving and will save many unnecessary trips if you work in a restaurant that discourages trays.Â The shortcoming is that you are still limited to carrying three glasses at once.Â […]
Skill Focus: Selling As A Server
Of all of the concepts I have introduced on this blog and in my book, this week’s sales focus deals with the topic that I feel most strongly about. This is the one area I am most disappointed with how it is addressed by the restaurant industry. So many restaurant companies now refer to their […]
Skills Focus: Building And Maintaining Rapport
Learning how to build and maintain rapport with your guests A friend recently sent me a message on Facebook before his shift.Â He is fairly new to the serving game, but from what I can tell he is improving quickly.Â He told me he was heading into a shift and needed to make good money.Â […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- A Food Critic Intervention August 31, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- What can I do to increase my online rank August 9, 2017
- Should Restaurant Servers Post Credit Card Receipts? October 23, 2013
- SD WAN Technology May 23, 2013
- Transitioning From A Restaurant Manager To A Restaurant Server March 19, 2013
- The Blooper Reel February 14, 2013
- Becki: As a server on sabbatical, I will say you were FAR...
- career server: The loser is the server who serves a table whose s...
- David Hayden: I found out about it when a friend who manages at ...
- Debbie Morella-Haynes: "This may seem like good news for servers, but it...
- Sugel: 6) Hours- This is a huge quality for life factor f...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.