Four years ago, I took a big step up in restaurants to start my current job.Â A co-workerâ€™s girlfriend recommended me to her boss.Â I interviewed and was hired on the spot.Â I still remember the way it felt walking into the restaurant for that interview. Â How impressive the building was.Â How professional the staff […]
Tag Archives | Serving
And This Is How It Ends
Is Running Hot Food Always The Priority?
I have worked for a number of companies and managers over the years that repeated a similar mantra.Â â€œRunning hot food from the window is the top priority.â€Â This is often heard from the mouths of managers, kitchen staff, and expediters.Â It has been emphasized so often that it is often accepted as factual.Â While […]
The Lost Art Of Suggestive Selling
â€œSubtlety is the art of saying what you think and getting out of the way before it is understood.â€ â€“Anonymous Â We as a society have really lost the power of subtlety.Â It could be because we have lost the patience to unravel it.Â We receive far more information on a daily basis than our […]
A World Without Tips
I am still incredibly grateful for my recent guest post on tipping.Â It inspired my response that discussed the economics of tipping.Â It also raised a few other interesting points that I am now learning are common misconceptions about restaurants.Â For people who have never worked in a restaurant, these misconceptions can easily be mistaken […]
The Economics of Tipping
I still occasionally get the guest who will say, I can buy this wine for half this price at the store. Which is true, but it doesn’t come with a staff to serve it and a crew of chefs ready to cook you an incredible meal from a fully stocked kitchen. I wonder if the […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- A Food Critic Intervention August 31, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- What can I do to increase my online rank August 9, 2017
- Should Restaurant Servers Post Credit Card Receipts? October 23, 2013
- SD WAN Technology May 23, 2013
- Transitioning From A Restaurant Manager To A Restaurant Server March 19, 2013
- The Blooper Reel February 14, 2013
- Becki: As a server on sabbatical, I will say you were FAR...
- career server: The loser is the server who serves a table whose s...
- David Hayden: I found out about it when a friend who manages at ...
- Debbie Morella-Haynes: "This may seem like good news for servers, but it...
- Sugel: 6) Hours- This is a huge quality for life factor f...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.