It is with a great deal of pride and excitement that I can finally announce the release of my first book: Tips2: Tips For Improving Your Tips.Â I have been teasing this big announcement for months and am glad to finally be making it, even though for regular readers it may be akin to Mitt […]
Tag Archives | Selling
Announcing TipsÂ²: Tips For Improving Your Tips
How To Sell The “Add On”
This is a topic that I have been debating writing about the “add on” Â for a long time.Â It is an incredibly important topic that can improve both the satisfaction of your guests and increase your income.Â It is also one of the least popular topics amongst servers.Â Managers often preach the benefits of sellingÂ the […]
The Lost Art Of Suggestive Selling
â€œSubtlety is the art of saying what you think and getting out of the way before it is understood.â€ â€“Anonymous Â We as a society have really lost the power of subtlety.Â It could be because we have lost the patience to unravel it.Â We receive far more information on a daily basis than our […]
On A Good Night
(Note: I am enjoying the final day of my mini vacation.Â Having a great trip.Â Met my favorite musician and a personal hero yesterday.Â Today I will be taking the scenic drive through the Ozark hills of Central Missouri.Â This is a post I wroteÂ a coupleÂ months ago.Â Not my standard fare, but I hope you […]
When I started my first serving job years ago I worked for a company I will affectionately refer to as â€œFive Four.â€Â That isnâ€™t what it says on the signs out front, but it what we all called it.Â My first day a manager who introduced himself as â€œCSVâ€ told me that if I couldnâ€™t […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- A Food Critic Intervention August 31, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- What can I do to increase my online rank August 9, 2017
- Should Restaurant Servers Post Credit Card Receipts? October 23, 2013
- SD WAN Technology May 23, 2013
- Transitioning From A Restaurant Manager To A Restaurant Server March 19, 2013
- The Blooper Reel February 14, 2013
- Becki: As a server on sabbatical, I will say you were FAR...
- career server: The loser is the server who serves a table whose s...
- David Hayden: I found out about it when a friend who manages at ...
- Debbie Morella-Haynes: "This may seem like good news for servers, but it...
- Sugel: 6) Hours- This is a huge quality for life factor f...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.