This is a topic that I have been debating writing about the “add on” Â for a long time.Â It is an incredibly important topic that can improve both the satisfaction of your guests and increase your income.Â It is also one of the least popular topics amongst servers.Â Managers often preach the benefits of sellingÂ the […]
Tag Archives | sell more
In the time that I have been writing this blog, I have provided a large number of tips on sales and describing food.Â Each of the individual posts provides tools and guidelines to help you sell the food most likely to create happy and returning guests.Â Used individually these techniques can help you increase the […]
Rule Five: Always recommend what is in the guestâ€™s best interest, not yours. Â Â (Note: There are many hyperlinks today that will send you to posts were I have previously addressed specifically issues that I address in this post.) This is the second time in two days I have sat down to write this […]
Selling is a complex topic.Â In the first part of this series, I discussed how most managers and corporations fail to encourage servers to sell in the right way. The second part dealt with the fact that we are all salespeople and in fact selling is part of hospitality.Â If you havenâ€™t read part two […]
You are a salesperson.Â I have never met you, but I am confident in that statement.Â By way of explanation let me say that Sunday night I had one of the greatest nights of my life.Â I saw Michael Franti and Spearhead perform and it was the greatest concert I have ever attended.Â I have […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- A Food Critic Intervention August 31, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- What can I do to increase my online rank August 9, 2017
- Should Restaurant Servers Post Credit Card Receipts? October 23, 2013
- SD WAN Technology May 23, 2013
- Transitioning From A Restaurant Manager To A Restaurant Server March 19, 2013
- The Blooper Reel February 14, 2013
- Becki: As a server on sabbatical, I will say you were FAR...
- career server: The loser is the server who serves a table whose s...
- David Hayden: I found out about it when a friend who manages at ...
- Debbie Morella-Haynes: "This may seem like good news for servers, but it...
- Sugel: 6) Hours- This is a huge quality for life factor f...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.