If we are going to be honest, we have to admit that most restaurant server training manuals do not adequately prepare servers to create highly satisfied guests and make above average tips. In fact, most server training manuals leave waiters and waitresses frustrated and demoralized. Corporations spend absurd amounts of money training servers on sales […]
Tag Archives | how to be a better server
Restaurant Server Training For NOT Dummies
On Sale Before Selling Out
I am about to violate one of the most basic rules of marketing and give you an insiderâ€™s look at the world of self-publishing in the digital age.Â I probably shouldnâ€™t write this post.Â My morning coffee hasnâ€™t kicked in and I can tell you that this post will eventually pulled from the site before […]
Why Free Food Does Not Increase Your Tip
â€œThey left me 15% and I didnâ€™t even charge them for their drinksâ€ â€“Rookie Server One of the fundamental truths you learn as a server is that hooking someone up with free drinks, food, etc. does not increase your tip. No matter how fundamental of a truth this is, it seems that every server has […]
Ten Bad Server Habits To Break
I spend a fair amount of time on the sister site of this blog discussing guest behaviors that annoy servers.Â I am sometimes a guest as well.Â On the occasions when I take my tips and spend them at a restaurant, I expect quality service.Â While I tend to not critique servers, there are definitely […]
The New Tips For Improving Your Tips Index
I truly want Tips For Improving Your Tips to become the web’s premeir site for server knowledge and the skills that help server’s increase their income.Â This site is filled with over 100 posts that help further that goal.Â This also means that can be a bit daunting to read.Â In order to make it […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- A Food Critic Intervention August 31, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- What can I do to increase my online rank August 9, 2017
- Should Restaurant Servers Post Credit Card Receipts? October 23, 2013
- SD WAN Technology May 23, 2013
- Transitioning From A Restaurant Manager To A Restaurant Server March 19, 2013
- The Blooper Reel February 14, 2013
- Becki: As a server on sabbatical, I will say you were FAR...
- career server: The loser is the server who serves a table whose s...
- David Hayden: I found out about it when a friend who manages at ...
- Debbie Morella-Haynes: "This may seem like good news for servers, but it...
- Sugel: 6) Hours- This is a huge quality for life factor f...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.