It takes a certain amount of hubris to write a blog like this.Â To sit back and write about how to be a better server almost implies that you think you are good enough to be emulated.Â I will never claim to be the worldâ€™s greatest server.Â I do consider myself humbly better than average, […]
Tag Archives | Friday
Guests often bring up the names of Food Network and Cooking Channel chefs to me at work.Â The jokes usually go right over my head.Â People assume that I am somewhat familiar with these chefs because of my job.Â It is actually quite the opposite.Â After spending a shift staring into a kitchen wondering if […]
Salmon is one of the least understood items on most restaurant menus.Â Servers are often unaware of what type of salmon is served out of their kitchen.Â Even more commonly servers are unaware of the unique selling points of the species they offer.Â This is problematic because premium salmon can warrant a premium price.Â It […]
I spent most of my life disliking the flavor of salmon.Â Growing up most of the salmon I ate came from a can and was served in â€œpattyâ€ form.Â As I worked in casual dining restaurants I would occasionally try the salmon dishes only to be turned off by the lingering flavors it would leave […]
Even some great servers have trouble explaining steak cuts.Â There are so many terms used to describe beef that it almost becomes a case of contrived complexity.Â Some terms are legitimate government sponsored grades while cattle ranchers create others as a marketing tool.Â For a food that many of us eat for nearly every meal, […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- A Food Critic Intervention August 31, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- What can I do to increase my online rank August 9, 2017
- Should Restaurant Servers Post Credit Card Receipts? October 23, 2013
- SD WAN Technology May 23, 2013
- Transitioning From A Restaurant Manager To A Restaurant Server March 19, 2013
- The Blooper Reel February 14, 2013
- Becki: As a server on sabbatical, I will say you were FAR...
- career server: The loser is the server who serves a table whose s...
- David Hayden: I found out about it when a friend who manages at ...
- Debbie Morella-Haynes: "This may seem like good news for servers, but it...
- Sugel: 6) Hours- This is a huge quality for life factor f...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.