Read any good books lately?Â When I sent out advanced copies of my book, I was hoping someone would say something nice about it in theirÂ reviews.Â All of the people who had read it previously did so to edit it.Â Something about getting back all the previous copies covered in red ink made me wonder […]
Tag Archives | better tips
The Reviews Are In
Announcing TipsÂ²: Tips For Improving Your Tips
It is with a great deal of pride and excitement that I can finally announce the release of my first book: Tips2: Tips For Improving Your Tips.Â I have been teasing this big announcement for months and am glad to finally be making it, even though for regular readers it may be akin to Mitt […]
The Rules of Serving: Rule Ten
Rule Ten: Pessimism is a self-fulfilling prophecy Every restaurant has at least one server who is chronically pessimistic.Â They come in for every shift expecting the worse.Â Even when they are proven wrong they find a reason to complain.Â If the ceiling started raining hundred dollar bills, they would complain about having to pay […]
The Rules of Serving: Rule Eight
(Note: One thing that became apparent to me when I wrote â€œThe Best of Tips for Improving your Tipsâ€ last week was that I really need to wrap up my â€œRules of Servingâ€ series.Â This week I am going to post the final three rules.) Rule Eight: Never count your money until you run your […]
How To Sell The “Add On”
This is a topic that I have been debating writing about the “add on” Â for a long time.Â It is an incredibly important topic that can improve both the satisfaction of your guests and increase your income.Â It is also one of the least popular topics amongst servers.Â Managers often preach the benefits of sellingÂ the […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- A Food Critic Intervention August 31, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- What can I do to increase my online rank August 9, 2017
- Should Restaurant Servers Post Credit Card Receipts? October 23, 2013
- SD WAN Technology May 23, 2013
- Transitioning From A Restaurant Manager To A Restaurant Server March 19, 2013
- The Blooper Reel February 14, 2013
- Becki: As a server on sabbatical, I will say you were FAR...
- career server: The loser is the server who serves a table whose s...
- David Hayden: I found out about it when a friend who manages at ...
- Debbie Morella-Haynes: "This may seem like good news for servers, but it...
- Sugel: 6) Hours- This is a huge quality for life factor f...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.