I have worked for a number of companies and managers over the years that repeated a similar mantra.Â â€œRunning hot food from the window is the top priority.â€Â This is often heard from the mouths of managers, kitchen staff, and expediters.Â It has been emphasized so often that it is often accepted as factual.Â While […]
Archive | Server Point of View RSS feed for this section
I wrote the following a while back as part of a much bigger project. Â After yielding to the advice of everyone who read it, it ended up on the cutting room floor. Â I picked it up off the floor and decided to share it here. Â This is something most servers struggle with at some point. […]
I have one hard and fast rule when it comes to waiting tables.Â No one dies on my watch.Â I have had several guests leave the restaurant in an ambulance, but none of them have died.Â It is a simple thing, but it helps me sleep better at night.Â I may not be changing the […]
As you are reading this, I am most likely sitting in a courthouse awaiting a trial.Â Not my trial or anything of that nature.Â I was summoned for jury duty.Â If this is the last post for a while, you will know I was sequestered for the crime of the century.Â In anticipation of my […]
I am still incredibly grateful for my recent guest post on tipping.Â It inspired my response that discussed the economics of tipping.Â It also raised a few other interesting points that I am now learning are common misconceptions about restaurants.Â For people who have never worked in a restaurant, these misconceptions can easily be mistaken […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- A Food Critic Intervention August 31, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- What can I do to increase my online rank August 9, 2017
- Should Restaurant Servers Post Credit Card Receipts? October 23, 2013
- SD WAN Technology May 23, 2013
- Transitioning From A Restaurant Manager To A Restaurant Server March 19, 2013
- The Blooper Reel February 14, 2013
- Becki: As a server on sabbatical, I will say you were FAR...
- career server: The loser is the server who serves a table whose s...
- David Hayden: I found out about it when a friend who manages at ...
- Debbie Morella-Haynes: "This may seem like good news for servers, but it...
- Sugel: 6) Hours- This is a huge quality for life factor f...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.