In a previous post about why restaurants charge for different extras, I discussed the difference between the guestâ€™s perception of profits and reality.Â It is not uncommon to hear a guest say, â€œI can buy this for half as much at the grocery store.â€Â The problem is that food in a restaurant carries far more […]
Tag Archives | how to be a better restaurant manager
Yesterdays post on extra charges for the various items a guest requests caused me to ponder on a larger scale. It is remarkably common to hear guests say, could buy that steak/wine/etc at the store for half that much. This is the same principle as walking into a classic car dealership and demanding a price […]
In the far corner of Southeast Missouri is a town called Sikeston.Â If you have heard of Sikeston, MO it is probably because of a restaurant called Lambertâ€™s CafÃ©.Â Iâ€™ve eaten at Lambertâ€™s a number of times over the years, but donâ€™t recall what I had.Â I always remember the food being good, but nothing […]
One of the difficulties of the frantic posting regimen I have taken upon myself is trying to come up with new and interesting things to write about.Â I want this blog to be informative and provide real world tips that you can apply on your next shift to make more money.Â This is one of […]
Search engine results are one of the most amusing parts of writing a blog.Â I get to see what people are searching for that lands them on this page.Â Almost every day someone lands on this page looking for sales techniques.Â Upon closer examination I am seeing a trend of the phrasing of the searches.Â […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- A Food Critic Intervention August 31, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- What can I do to increase my online rank August 9, 2017
- Should Restaurant Servers Post Credit Card Receipts? October 23, 2013
- SD WAN Technology May 23, 2013
- Transitioning From A Restaurant Manager To A Restaurant Server March 19, 2013
- The Blooper Reel February 14, 2013
- Becki: As a server on sabbatical, I will say you were FAR...
- career server: The loser is the server who serves a table whose s...
- David Hayden: I found out about it when a friend who manages at ...
- Debbie Morella-Haynes: "This may seem like good news for servers, but it...
- Sugel: 6) Hours- This is a huge quality for life factor f...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.