I will admit it. I am a huge trivia fan. I collect random pieces of trivial information in hope that it one day might come in handy. This has led to an undefeated streak in Trivial Pursuit that began in the last millennium. It also leads to me seeking out opportunities to play trivia whenever […]
Warning: Illegal string offset 'singular_portfolio_taxonomy' in /home/davhdnt2/tipssquared.com/wp-content/themes/canvas/includes/theme-functions.php on line 803
Archive | Server Knowledge RSS feed for this section
My friend Marcy has been telling me for years that I need a dog. She thinks it would be good for me to have a pet for companionship. I have always avoided getting one based on the fact that my schedule prevents me from being home frequently enough to let it outside. I can see […]
(Note: In the previous post I defined the growing market segment of “aspirational dining” restaurants. This is valuable background to this post and merits a read.) What sets the “aspirational dining” market segment apart was their creation of the perception that their food cost more because it was worth more. This perception is what made […]
I am a Mac guy. This means only the occasional interruption for updates from Microsoft. These are most often for Word for Macs. Yet in none of these updates have they added to my spell check dictionary words like “Barack Obama, Al Qaeda, or Facebook.” If they do implement this change they can use this […]
So part of being the slightly neurotic blogger that I am is keeping an eye on what searches brought people here. Sometimes they are very specific searches. In those cases I stop and think, “Did I answer that?” For some I am convinced that I not only answered the question, but did so thoroughly. For […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- A Food Critic Intervention August 31, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- Should Restaurant Servers Post Credit Card Receipts? October 23, 2013
- Meeting The Rude Restaurant Guest The Next Day May 23, 2013
- Transitioning From A Restaurant Manager To A Restaurant Server March 19, 2013
- The Blooper Reel February 14, 2013
- Five Questions To Know For A Restaurant Server Interview January 25, 2013
- Becki: As a server on sabbatical, I will say you were FAR...
- career server: The loser is the server who serves a table whose s...
- David Hayden: I found out about it when a friend who manages at ...
- Debbie Morella-Haynes: "This may seem like good news for servers, but it...
- Sugel: 6) Hours- This is a huge quality for life factor f...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.